The other day I got in an argument with a man over the foreign policy of the Obama administration. This man basically accused me of being a Republican and stood firmly behind the foreign policy of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Now I view the choice between a Republican and a Democrat as the choice between Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dummer and I hate discussing politics. Having said that, I felt it necessary to explain what I believe about foreign policy in a short post.
I believe that in dealing with other nations a nation should stick to 3 principles:
- Tell the truth.
- Choose your friends carefully and stick by them.
- Use violence against foreign nations as a last resort.
In his foreign policy, Barack Obama has violated all three of these principles.
- When he extols the virtues of Islam, he is lying about the history of that religion and the nature of its teachings.
- He has discarded traditional American alliances in the Middle East without fanfare or public debate. Now Saudi Arabia has shown itself to be a bad American ally by funding the spread of Wahhabi Islam around the world, but it still seems unwise to make such a momentous shift of policy in the worlds most unstable region so quickly. And what did Israel do to deserve being treated worse than Armenian genocide denying Turkey and totalitarian Iran?
- Finally, the Obama administration uses drone strikes against “terrorist” targets in Pakistan, Syria, Iraq, Yemen and Afghanistan. These attacks have significant collateral damage and convince many Muslims that Christian “Kafirs” are untrustworthy and genocidal. Imagine a conversation that Barack Obama’s foreign policy makes possible between two prospective Islamic jihadis:
Isis Candidate #1: “Can you believe these Kafirs? The President of the Great Satan himself admits that Islam is a religion of peace and that the Prophet (PBUH) was a great man. At the same time, this man uses drone strikes to attack the Umma and those who are trying to bring peace to the world ”
Isis Candidate #2: “Exactly. Isis is the only organization on earth that is willing to fight this great and lying evil. Let’s go join up!”
I am no politician, but it seems to me that Barack Obama’s foreign policy couldn’t be better designed to destabilize the Middle East and cause World War III. What else can you say when the man strengthens Iran by giving them Iraq, Yemen and Syria on a silver platter and makes a deal to give them nuclear weapons and thereby encourages the Saudis to purchase nuclear weapons from Pakistan and paints Israel into a corner? And if this same man uses rhetoric and tactics that inflame Islamic passion against the West? What does he think is going to happen?